Homemade Tortillas

Have you ever wanted tacos or burritos only to realize you have everything but the tortillas? Or have you ever actually read the ingredients list on a package of tortillas? I mean do they really need all those ingredients?! Well today you are in luck. I am going to tell you how to make your own tortillas with only 5 simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen!

First lets go over the ingredients list:
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt (I use Pink Himalayan sea salt)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup hot water ( just put your water on hot and when you can't hold your finger in the stream anymore, fill up your measuring cup)

1) Mix all the dry ingredients together.
2) Add your coconut oil. If you use real coconut oil I found that a hair dryer works great to melt down what you need to pour off into your measuring cup. Just be careful to let the container cool before you put the lid back on.
3) Add your hot water. Start with 3/4 cup and mix then add a little more until your dough no longer has dry spots breaking off.
4) Knead until the dough pulls completely away from the bowl on its own.
5) Take the dough and work it in your hands and slowly pull it into two balls. Then pull each ball into two more balls. Finally roll each smaller ball into a log shape and tear it into 3 sections. This will give you 12 equally sized pieces.
6) Roll each ball flat into the best looking circle you can. Mine were no where near perfect but as long as it is evenly flat, then you are doing great!
7) Heat a flat pan ( I use my pancake pan) on just shy of perfect medium. On my knobs that is a 4. I would say on a know with no numbers you want it in the 7 o'clock position.
8) Place each tortilla on the pan for 1 minute then flip for 30 seconds. You will probably burn the first one a little so keep an eye on it.
9) Keep each tortilla in a towel until room temp then transfer to an airtight container. I used a Ziploc bag to hold them.

The tortillas should keep for 4-5 days on the counter. If you refrigerate them they will get hard and you may not be able to soften them with the wet towel in the microwave technique, so just leave them out. That is it! Now you have tortillas for the week for whatever strikes you for dinner. Enjoy!

And as always
Live, Love, June!

Comments

Popular Posts