5 Tips for Healthier Skin

As a person that deals with adult acne, I have done everything I can to try and eliminate these teenage markings. It is embarrassing and also makes me feel like people don't take me seriously. I have tried everything short of taking Accutane (I am allergic) to make my skin clear and more fitting for my age. It is a challenge that I face everyday. But there are things you can do to help keep that grease under control.

Sometimes your dermatologist will send you down the path of antibiotic usage to eliminate the threat. If you have any adverse reactions and cannot take the dosages for an extended period of time like I was unable to, then you expose yourself to some side effects that can not be reversed. One of those side effects are cysts that look like large pimples that never head. They hurt, sometimes they itch, and they can show up anywhere - usually the shoulders, chest, or face. The problem: They never go away unless you have injections or special medicated tape to reduce this inflammation. This side effect will definitely make you throw out your low cut blouses! Hopefully these tips will help you to minimize the breakouts and keep your face soft in the process.

Tip #1
Exfoliation is important. My dermatologist recommended a face sponge that you can pick up at rite aid, but I found it to be too abrasive. You are only needing to gently remove the excess skin so it doesn't become fuel for your clogged pores. I use ST Ives Apricot Scrub. It has pieces of apricot shell in the paste. It is the first part to my two step face washing process.

Tip #2
Wash your face twice, twice a day. When you wake up, wash your face, twice. Then again before bed. I start with ST Ives Apricot Scrub or St Ives Even and Bright Pink Lemon and Mandarin wash. The Pink Lemon and Mandarin wash has exfoliating beads in it, but it is not as course as the apricot scrub. The second step is with Neutrogena's fresh foaming cleanser. This was a recommendation from my dermatologist as it is light and adds moisture back to the face. This is also a great product to gently remove makeup.

Tip #3
Change your pillowcases. You can wash and wash your face, but if you are laying back in the oil that has been imbedded in your pillowcase, you are battling against yourself. All the oil from your hair has been adding to your face and making it harder to have clear skin. I recommend changing them twice a week.

Tip #4
Moisturize. You need to give yourself back some good moisture that has a SPF in it. You want to not only show your body you don't need any more oil production, but also protect those cells from damage that will give you spotting and blotching. Neutrogena has a wonderful product - Oil free Moisturizer with SPF 15. It is light and protective. Just make sure you let your face dry before applying.

Tip #5
Have a good spot treatment cream. I personally love Neutrogena's On the spot acne treatment cream. I am in no way getting paid by Neutrogena. I have just found that when you stay within one or two companies for your skin regimen, then you tend to have less negative skin reactions. Sometimes the spot cream is used for the entire lower part of my face. I will put it on before I add makeup or moisturizer. It can also be used at night before bed. Just make sure you rub it in all the way.

Remember that having oily skin may feel like a curse, but you will have younger looking skin for longer and with less wrinkles than people with dryer skin types. Hopefully these tips will work for you. Please let me know if it helps in the comments.

Comments

Popular Posts